TECHNET Archives

August 2002

Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:31:15 +0800
Hi, again, Alejandro,

I'll wait until Steve has the pictures up on his site before I try to make
much more comment on the problem.

Regarding your thermal profiling, though, I have another string of
questions for you:

   What solder are you using? i.e. what is the liquidous temperature? 183
   deg C eutectic? Leaded or lead-free?
   Can you tell us what the temperatures, ramp rates and dwell times are
   for the various zones of the reflow oven?
   Where are you placing the thermocouples in relation to your problem QFP?
   On the top board surface? Near the QFP leads or further away? On the
   component body? On the solder side of the baord?
   What temperature(s) are you recording from the thermocouple(s) that
   is/are most relevant to the QFP?
   Do you use nitrogen or not in the reflow oven to reduce oxidation?
   What tests have to carried out to ensure that your profile is suitable
   for this component?

Other questions to help me try to help you:

   Have your tried hand soldering the affected leads? Do you still have
   non-soldering problems?
   How do the boards appear - are they still shiny, or do they look dull
   with oxide?
   What flux are you using and is it water soluble or no-clean?
   What other components are close to the QFP?
   Are there any large copper planes or fill areas near the QFP, or under
   it inside the PCB?
   Is there a taller component near the QFP that goes into the reflow oven
   ahead of the QFP?

Without seeing the pictures, I think you may have a "shadow" problem,
assuming all the other solder joints on the board are OK and the problem
joints are not soldering properly, or at all. This can sometimes happen,
and putting the board through the reflow oven a different way round (turn
it 90 or 180 degrees from normal) can help. One side of the QFP may be
being sheltered a bit by another device, and is therefore not experiencing
the heating that it should.

I also read your  posting another way - that solder joints are being
formed, but that the joints are deformed because of the way the leads are
lying. If that's the case, I would look at the condition of the components
as they arrive in your company, and then how they are handled by your
receiving people, incoming inspection, storemen, progress people and
operators. See if the components are being damaged at any of these stages,
and if so, how, so that you can improve the handling procedures. It may
even be that the placement pressure of the Pick and Place machine is
incorrect and needs to be changed. Maybe I can tell more when I see the
pictures, but hopefully, I've given you some things to think about, or
reject, as appropriate.

Good luck
Peter

Becerra Alejandro <[log in to unmask]>      07/08/2002 10:22 AM