TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:35:11 -0500
Dee,

Really good input. Let's see the introduction as follows:

A few weeks ago the world almost saw a nuclear war. Pakistan and India were
at full alert and poised for a large-scale war - which both sides appeared
ready to escalate into nuclear war. The situation was defused - for now!
Most of the world knew about this situation and watched and worried. But few
know of an event over the Mediterranean in early June of this year that
could have had a serious bearing on that outcome. U.S. early warning
satellites detected a flash that indicated an energy release comparable to
the Hiroshima burst. We see about 30 such bursts per year, but this one was
one of the largest we've ever seen. The event was caused by the impact of a
small asteroid - probably about 5-10 meters in diameter on the earth's
atmosphere. Had you been situated on a vessel directly underneath the
intensely bright flash would have been followed by a shock wave that would
have rattled the entire ship and possibly caused minor damage.

The event of this June caused little or no notice as far as we can tell. But
had it occurred at the same latitude, but a few hours earlier, the result on
human affairs might have been much worse. Imagine that the bright flash
accompanied by a damaging shock wave had occurred over Delhi, India or
Islamabad, Pakistan? Neither of those nations have the sophisticated sensors
we do that can determine the difference between a natural NEO impact and a
nuclear detonation. The resulting panic in the nuclear-armed and
hair-trigger militaries there could have been the spark that would have
ignited the nuclear horror we'd avoided for over a half-century. This
situation alone should be sufficient to get the world to take notice of the
threat of asteroid impact

Humans, ethics, survival, and why are we so hell bent on destruction anyway?
I always believed this technological thing was for our benefit, not
destruction. Am I wrong and, really, who is to blame?

MoonMan