TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:54:02 -0500
Hi Phil! Cool - a true metallurgy question (sorry but I have had a week on
Mondays, not enough Diet Coke and very little exercising of the
metallurgical portion of my brain cells)! Soldering to a zinc casting is
possible but there are some issues to consider:

a) Oxides - Zn forms a pretty ugly oxide which interferes with the
soldering process. The surface oxides will need to be adequately removed
prior to the soldering operation. You can use either chemical or mechanical
means to accomplish the oxide removal depending on what impact either
method has on the pwa.

b) Corrosion - in some corrosive environments the solder alloy elements
(Sn, Pb, Bi, Cu, etc) can lead to intergranular attack of the zinc alloy. A
well documented example of this type of phenomena  is "dezincification" of
brass alloys with solder joints. You would want to test the use environment
conditions to insure that a corrosive attack would not take place.

c) Intermetallics - zinc and antimony for an intermetallic phase which is
very brittle and can degrade the solder joint. Also because zinc solder
alloys are typically low melting you could cause the formation of other low
melting solder phases (say you had Sn/Pb/Bi in your solder joint - the
formation of the ternary eutectic at 98C may be an issue).

There are some industry uses of zinc solder alloys - the Sn91/Zn9 solder
alloy has been used in some segments of the industry on specific
applications and the use of aluminum/zinc solder alloys is routinely used
on aluminum alloys in some cases. If you decide to use a zinc
casting/soldering I recommend you fully investigate your use environment to
see if it is a practical choice. An alternative avenue of pursuit is to
copper plate/alkaline tin plate the zinc casting similarly to how aluminum
casting are processed today.  Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>@ipc.org> on 08/30/2002 10:59:16 AM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
       to Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>