TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
"WEEKES, MICHAEL HS-SNS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:30:30 -0400
There are many different competing objectives here.  I would consider your
glue dispenser's capability to place 0603 dots.  Typically 0805 is the
optimal solution, assuming the suppliers of passives are slowly ramping down
in 1206s and toward 0805.  I think some packages are not available yet in
the 0603.  It all depends what passives you're using.  Another question is
whether double sided reflow is an option, making 0603s much easier to
solder.  This assumes also you have a relatively new placement machine -
older ones will not handle 0603 with any cost-effective drop-rate.

Mike