TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Carl VanWormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:59:30 -0700
Originally, we decided to use water soluble flux/solder for in-house re-work

and prototyping.  We thought this would be a good choice, since our assembly

house uses a water soluble process, and we didn't want to be doing
"chemistry
experiments" on our boards (mixing fluxes).  Our current cleaning process
consists of hot tap water and a toothbrush.  It isn't working . . . we can't

get the boards clean enough.

I am considering changing to some other chemistry based on the following
(random) thoughts:

1.  If the assembly house sends us boards that have been cleaned, it doesn't

    matter what chemistry we use, since they have cleaned everything except
the
    63/37 solder from the board.

2.  I want to use some combination that wets and flows well for standard and

    fine-pitch surface mount parts rework and prototyping.

3.  I want to get matching chemistry solder (with flux core), flux pen,
solder
    wick, and cleaner.

4.  I want the option to clean (or not) based on cosmetic reasons (not
worrying
    about leaving a corrosion time bomb).

5.  I am fearful of "no-clean" because it has been called a "low
reliability"
    process by people who might know.

6.  Many of my applications will be "desktop" environments.

7.  I grew up with the rosin smell . . . I like it . . .

Questions:
1.  Ignoring cosmetics, is the no-clean chemistry any more/less reliable
than
    the rosin in an office environment?

2.  Is there a "solderability" issue (wetting and flow) in the no-clean as
    compared to my old favorite (type 44 RA activated rosin 63/37)?

3.  Do you have any favorite combinations?  (something that will put a smile

    on the technicians face)

4.  Should I just use the "Rosin Core" aftershave to get that wonderful
smell
    back into my life?

Carl Van Wormer
Cipher Systems (day job)