TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:42:38 -0500
Peter,

I too look for the lightning bolts but I don't care much anymore at this
stage in my life. Hell, at age 97, there ain't much fun left anyway so the
bolts my provide a little adventure at least if not fun.

The IPC, though I've always been a strong supporter, used to suck. Before
its clear and present presence taking over all things military, really did
little for us all. Within the past 10 years or so, now doing work
concurrently with so  many fine people and other organizations, including
taking over military writings, etc. has really gotten good at what it does.

If you look at old IPC documents you wonder how the organization ever
survived. Without people like David Bergman, it certainly would not have. I
think he was around when I had my first company join the Institute of
Printed Circuits (can't get that out of my mind and can never remember what
the "new" IPC means). I was a electromechanical and PCB design manager at
Courier Terminal systems in Phoeniz Arizon in 1967 and the IPC was just
starting. Never got much good from the IPC then, but certainly do now.

The 600 and 610 stuff, along with many other stuff, has matured and looks
great while telling a real story as so much more than guidelines. It's real
stuff and can be used almost as a bible. It also get's improved much like I
envisioned my book often following IPC.

I could go on, but just a few are left going so far back to see how IPC, and
me, has improved to the benefit of us all.

Earl