TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:21:09 -0500
I agree completely. I now have asked David Bergman permission to place IPC
graphics and tables in my book. I should have asked him before. IPC had no
problem when I was giving the check lists away with IPC graphics and tables
clearly present. Therefore, without thinking, I placed them in my book and
offered it for sale.

I surely hope IPC allows me the privelage of using their property. It is for
the benefit of us all, in my view. I sell books. IPC gets more customers for
their product.

My book is not about profit. If I sell very many, whatever number that is, I
will continue upgrading the book and cover my expenses and that's about it.
This is not a scheme or gimmick contrived to ensure my retirement.

When I started receiving orders and money for the book, I had to buy many
things just to fill the orders. So far, I have spent over $4000 on a new
computer and support peripherals. I doubt I'll ever recover that money plus
other monies that need to be spent notwithstanding my time invested over the
past 20 years supporting IPC.

Never the less, book is still for sale with or without IPC permission to use
their fine material. Simply, I have obtained David's kind permission to
reference IPC material in lieu of actual images and tables. However, my
book, without IPC, will contain my own graphics and tables though this will
take a bit more time than anticipated.

I go back to IPCs beginings in the '60's. I may have contributed more
indirectly to the organizations success than anyone still living. There is
not a company withing which I have worked, that I have not had success in
having them become IPC members. This includes my most recent client in
Cleveland, OH as ECC. Also, I have been instrumental, whether companies
become members or not, in having them buy many vital, to the companies, IPC
documents.

My current book references and requires as part of the DFM/CE process the
following documents at a minimum:

2)
All component and printed circuit board design requirements and issues
clearly defined as a function of the POD design envelope, PCB and PCBA
processes, and IPC guidelines and other guidelines and specifications as:

?
IPC-D-275, Printed Wiring for Electronic Equipment
?
IPC-D-279, Design Guidelines for Reliable Surface Mount Technology Printed
Board Assemblies
?
IPC-2221, Generic Standard for Printed Board Design
?
IPC-7095, Design and Assembly Process Implementation for BGA?s
?
IPC-782, Surface Mount Design and Land Pattern Standard
?
IPC-785, Guidelines for Accelerated Testing of Surface Mount Solder Attachments
?
IPC-4101, Laminate/Prepreg Materials Standard for Printed Boards
?
IPC-7525, Stencil Design Guidelines
?
IPC-2315, Design Guide for High Density Interconnects (HDI) and Microvias
?
IPC-CM-770, Guidelines for Printed Board Component Mounting
?
IPC-SM-840, Qualification and Performance of Permanent Polymer Coating
(Solder Mask) for Printed Boards
?
IPC-9701, Performance Test Methods and Qualification Requirements for
Surface Mount Solder Attachments
?
IPC-780, Component Packaging With Emphasis on Surface Mounting
?
IPC-A-600F, Acceptability of Printed Boards
?
IPC-A-610C, Acceptability for Electronic Assemblies (ESD requirements in
Section 3.0)
?
IPC-6012, Qualification and Performance Specification for Rigid Printed Boards

Joint Industry Standards as:

?
ANSI/J-STD 001, Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies
?
ANSI/J-STD 002, Solderability Tests for Component Leads, Terminations, Lugs,
Terminals, and Wires
?
ANSI/J-STD 003, Solderability Tests for Printed Boards
?
ANSI/J-STD 013, Implementation of Ball Grid Array and Other High Density
Technology
?
ANSI/J-STD 020, Handling Requirements for Moisture Sensitive Components
?
ANSI/J-STD 033, Standard for Handling, Packing, Shipping, and Use of
Moisture/Reflow Sensitive Surface Mount Devices

?
IEEE 1149.1, Standard Test Access Port and Boundary Scan Architecture

Note: The foregoing documents, at a minimum, must be available for reference
at POD before any type design review is possible. Other considerations and
requirements follow:

This is straight out of my book. If this doesn't sell IPC documents, I don't
know what will.

My book is not about the MoonMan. I have fun with him and so do many others.
He loves to have fun but is dead serious about our business.

I agree as well that this forum is not the place to work this out. I agree,
I should have sought permission but, being my GIVING self mad a stupid
assumption based on my free check lists, that IPC would love my stuff.

I must not be a very good engineer. Good engineers never assume anything.

Thanks again to everyone paying attention to this thing I shoul never have
created. The responses, both on and off line, have been tremendous.

The book still is for sale and, hopefully, with IPC permission to do more
than reference their graphics and tables. My presentations, seminars,
workshops, and consulting still will go on and I hope IPC doesn't object to
using their material, when purchased by member or not, customers in slides,
ppt presentation, overheads, handouts, etc.

Earl Moon