TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Bernard Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:28:46 -0700
Hey, people, we seem to be losing sight of the forest as we wrestle with a
tree--- or something.

All of us contribute when we participate and the results belong to all of
us --- the membership ---- not to some of us and not to a few of us.  The
issue is straightforward ---- we want our efforts protected against anyone
using for public access, with or without  personal gain, that which we
worked hard to produce without seeking our permission first.  We'd be quite
correct in criticizing the IPC Staff if they failed to confront anyone who
violates the simple issue of copyrights ---- our copyrights.   Whether or
not permission is granted is an altogether different issue ----- the
initial request is what we are dealing with.  Permission was not sought
---- usage was challenged and ordered stopped.  Whatever resolution to this
situation could have and should have been pursued privately instead of
taking it to this forum where we rapidly excurd into non-issues like why we
belong to associations and why we need staff to do the work we simply could
not do for ourselves.

To those who feel that the staff is overpaid and/or underworked or less
than fully efficient at what they do ----- discuss it with our
leaders----starting with the Chairman of the Board.  It's still the
responsibility of the Board of Directors to establish policies that govern
our association and the final approval of those policies rests with us.  Do
something constructive if you're not happy ---- that's why you pay your
dues --- or your company pays its dues.    And, above all, find out why
we're a non-profit or not-for-profit association.

With thanks to all of you who contribute --- and to the IPC Staff for being
there to harness the talents, skills and intelligence that makes our
inustry so great -----
Best to all of us
Bernie Kessler

Bernard Kessler & Associates, Ltd
714-898-8422  562-598-5563  Fx: 562-431-1741
www.home.earthlink.net/~bkesslerbka
       Service is our Profession