TECHNET Archives

August 2002

Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:38:11 +0300
Siegmund

The main problem with vapour-phase soldering is environmental: the
fluids used are amongst the world's worst greenhouse gases (~10,000
times worse than CO2). Even if only a little is dragged out or otherwise
lost, it is not good. 2 kg lost in a year is as bad as a medium car
emits in its lifetime. Secondarily, there is the question of cost of the
fluid, which is VERY high.

The process has definite advantages but it also has its severe
disadvantages, for  most applications, compared with other processes.
It's therefore a question of compromise and the US companies have chosen
what they consider suits them best (they know that if they abuse
perfluorinated chemical emissions, where they are not essential, the US
EPA could step in and restrict, tax or ban their use). It is possible
that, in Germany, the pressure to use this process is commercial, from
local machine manufacturers.

Brian