TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:19:25 +0100
On 9/8/02 3:39 pm, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Graham
> You are going to force me to comment :)  My comments were only to state what
> is being done and the fact that there are serious differences between ionic
> cleaning techniques - not an endorsement of any of them.  I personally am
> quite concerned with any heated extraction process and campaign against it
> almost daily - however there are IPC test methods and equipment out there
> that use heated extractions.
>
> I cannot comment on levels of cleanliness to be imposed on samples as that is
> a function of the flux that is going to be used.  Just make certain all
> involved are using the same method of determining whether a sample meets the
> desired level.
>
> The concern with isolated contamination is a constant concern - and we tell
> people all the time that an "overall" extraction of the surface cannot
> guarantee that one spot on the board will not trap contamination.  I really
> don't know the absolute answer for protection against that type of problem.
>
> Susan

Oooh! I love it when you talk dirty...

I am surprised at the hot test method, and in answer to MoonMan's enquiry,
15 minutes is all it took for the Bromine to rise.

The intention in the new draft IEC spec., is to try and provide assembly
manufacturers with a relatively straight-forward test protocol using SIR
methodology to predict the reliability of the finished assembly.

Please don't groan - it's meant to be helpful! :-)

Regards Graham