TECHNET Archives

July 2002

Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:11:40 +0300
Hi,

I'm coming back just to say that the University of Stuttgart
presentation on the environmental cost of leadfree solders has been
kindly translated by Peter Roth of Bosch and this has been approved by
the original authors. (Thanks, Peter). I was overwhelmed by the number
of members asking for the German version, so I shudder at the thought of
having to do the same for the English version with my present
disability. I have therefore placed the doc on the web at
http://www.protonique.com/download/ where interested parties can
download it freely (PDF file, 3.4 Mb). Please note that opening the file
will produce a small hiccup about half way through. Just ignore it and
carry on and it will continue normally.

As I have had to re-subscribe, I'll lurk here to see reactions, but it
is unlikely I'll post unless there is something that REALLY needs me!

I should like to thank all who have enquired after me and apologise for
not having replied. My problem makes it hard, but not impossible (as you
can see), to respond. I'll give an update of the situation. On Monday,
two weeks ago, I suffered a minor stroke which affected my RH side and
especially my right hand which was totally paralysed. This hand, which
behaved like a slab of wet fish, was useless for either keyboard or
mouse control. I've been lucky and now have recovered 90% of movements
(with conscious effort), 50% of strength (least in index finger and
thumb) and 20% of agility, so I can now do most everyday things, albeit
perhaps slowly. Computer use is still a big effort, though. Hopefully, I
will improve further, with time and patience. I'm still undergoing tests
(CT scan revealed minor ischaemic problems and other normal signs of
aging: MRI scan not possible because of my pacemaker: blood chemistry is
fine: will have carotid doppler and possibly angiogram tests next week).
Preliminary Dx and prognosis is encouraging so you may have to put up
with me for some time yet, even if not in the immediate future.

I request no correspondence on personal matters, please!

Good bedtime reading of the presentation!

Best regards,

Brian