TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Martin Tarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:20:15 +0100
Dear Colleagues

From time to time on TechNet I have been very interested to read of people’s
experiences with designs that left something to be desired, whether it is
from board fabrication, assembly or Design for Test perspective.  My
challenge, as one of the contributors to a PCB design course, is to tell
people how to do things properly.

It has been very useful from this perspective to have Earl Moon’s latest
offering as an example of the kind of checks which it is advisable to do
before diving into the pool.

As you would expect, most information says how to do it, and very few folk
are prepared to hold their hand up and say that “my design was less than
perfect”! David Douthit's recent story ("Help make a difference") is fairly
rare. What I would love to do is to be able to illustrate points of bad
design, and I wonder if anyone has examples which they could let me use for
student training.

Ideally I am looking for physical samples, but clear high-definition
photographs would also be of relevance.  Obviously I would be happy to
acknowledge the names of the guys and the companies who are able to help,
and would be very sensitive about not exposing the names of designers/design
houses, to protect the guilty . . .

If anyone is able to help, perhaps they would contact me off-line.

Grateful thanks for your help.

Martin

Martin Tarr
EDR Centre                                1 Methven Drive
Tweed Horizons                            DUNFERMLINE
Newtown St Boswells                       Fife
MELROSE                                   Scotland
Scotland                                  KY12 0AH
TD6 0SG

+44 (0)1835 824660 phone                  [log in to unmask]
+44 (0)1835 822991 fax                    +44 (0)1383 723989 phone
                                          +44 (0)709 233 3181 fax
                                          +44 (0)7831 550192 mobile