TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Eric Christison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:29:50 +0100
In a previous life I looked after process engineering in a shop that
made soldered/brazed waveguide components using either propane or oxy
acetylene torches so I reckon I'm something of an expert...

Anyway, the point is that the soldering/brazing mediums don't see the
temperature of the flame as you heat the parts to be joined and then
apply the brazing rod or solder keeping the flame away from the joint.
The purpose of the flame is to heat the parent parts to temperature -
capiliary attractration draws the braze/solder into the joint. How do
you know you've reached temperature? You apply the correct flux to the
joint and the flux changes colour when it reaches the correct
solder/brazing temperature. Then you apply your solder/braze rod.

If you're going to do it in production you'll need skilled operators.
It's not the most difficult job in the world once you know what to do
but anyone starting from scratch you will struggle to produce joints
that are hemetically sealed but not covered in 'gorilla snot' (excess
solder) as Peter has just observed.

Even in our production envoronment we still had a fair amount of rework
to repair joints that were not 100% air tight.

Regards,

--
Eric Christison
Mechanical Engineer