TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
"Diamond, Pat" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:05:32 +0100
Dave,Roger,

this is not being used on a PCB or wiring harness, I will try to explain but
it's a bit tricky.

One of our "Engineers" has come up with an RTD (Resistance Temperature
Device) assembly design which comprises of silver brazed peice parts
(st/steel),which are then joined to a tube (brass) internally, using solder
rings made out of solid 60/40 (both 20 & 18SWG) and using a flame torch to
heat the parts up (this was measured at 1000+ deg.C).

Added to this he has designed in HMP (221 deg. C) solder as a "sealant"
around the top of the assembly to seal the rod and the tube, also soldered
using a flame.

Oh I forgot, he has specified Multicore "Arax" as the fluxing agent.

Will these joints be reliable after seeing that temperature?

I would have thought the silver braze would also re-flow at the temperatures
used, would they be affected?.

Is this guy crazy or is he a genius?

Does any of this make any sense!

regards,