TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Roger Bilham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:54:38 +0100
Pat,

At a guess, I would expect the alloy to skin over very quickly and then
go crusty and drossy. The tin would oxidise faster than the lead and
would, I think largely stay put. The lead would evaporate slowly through
the cracks in the skin, unless it remains coherent, which I doubt. It
would then oxidise to lead fume, which would float around until trapped
in the exhaust filtration system or the lungs of any passers by. This is
roughly what happens to solder alloy poured from a smelting furnace but
that contains a lot of impurities.

Whether the tin would oxidise faster than the lead evaporates, I do not
know. If the solder is under vacuum, then the lead would certainly be
depleted faster than the tin.

It is also interesting to consider what will happen to the container of
the solder. What is the container material?

Regards,
Roger Bilham
Roger Bilham Consultancy

In article <30894E03906FD5118115000629A8C09C7E35F3@WAFNT11>, Diamond,