TECHNET Archives

July 2002

Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:26:08 +0300
Ed

I'll break silence over this one. Firstly, IMHO, this is a great danger
from closed-loop systems. Microorganisms are not killed without specific
measures. UV irradiation, followed by ultrafiltration, is one method.
Without ultrafiltration, the microorganisms "corpses" will still be
present but there will also be a small proportion of live ones which
will thrive on the cannibalistic food source of the dead uns. The
ultrafilter membranes will need backwashing daily to eliminate this
organic soup.

Better still, clean with a sterile open loop system, at least for the
final rinse. If you add 10% IPA to the final rinse, this will help kill
any residual live organisms or inhibit their reproduction, it will
facilitate drying and the reduction of surface tension will allow better
penetration into the traps where the beasties can proliferate.

Brian