TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Eric Christison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:32:36 +0100
Peter,

Be careful about producing a lightweight jig. If it isn't stiff enough
you'll end up wasting a lot of time and money.

The tables on vibration machines are normally made from magnesium alloy
which I believe has a slightly better stiffness/weight ratio than
aluminium. However the real reason for using mag alloy is that is has a
lower loss tangent than aluminium.

I think you have three options:

1. Decide your current fixture overdesigned and either redesign it or
start cutting chunks off it.

2. Decide it isn't overdesigned but redesign it in carbon fibre - you
won't achieve a great increase in stiffness/weight ratio by moving to
another metal.

3. Take the easy option and start phoning test houses....

Regards,

--
Eric Christison
Mechanical Engineer