TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 11:06:44 +0300
Dave

a) where are you getting your hydrogen from? Most of it comes from
cracking fossil fuels and the rest from electrolysis, using electricity
from fossil-fuel-burning power stations????????????????? Oh, and when
you crack the fossil fuel, there is a by-product called CO2 :-(
b) do you really want to ride in a car with 25 or 30 kg of compressed
hydrogen underneath or behind you? Fine if there are no accidents, leaks
or other causes of explosions that would make Hamas, ETA and the IRA
look like amateurs.
c) how are you going to create the hydrogen distribution infrastructure
and who will pay for it?

I agree that, theoretically, new cars could be fuel-cell powered and
rolling off the lines by 2010 or thereabouts but we have much longer to
go before they can use biomass renewable energies.

If you wish to debate this further, may I suggest we transfer this to
the EnviroNet, which is there just for this kind of thing?

Brian