TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:53:38 -0500
At the time I posted that message, I had just finished reading a special
issue of CircuiTree magazine called "The Board Authority" Volume 4 Number 1
titled "Assembly and Solderability" which has at least three articles in it
that discuss silver plating, and the entire IPC email archives of every
post that had the word "silver" in it, and also the White Paper called "PWB
Surface Finishes" available for free at
http://www.ipc.org/html/downloads.htm

In all of those sources the ONLY drawbacks to silver that I can remember
are that it might not be reliable enough (or robust enough) for contact
switches, and that storage may be an issue. Well, I should say those are
the concerns that interested ME, there are also concerns if it comes into
contact with sulfur, different probe tips for ICT, possible incompatibility
with via plugging, stories about whiskers in the olden days, etc... but I
don't consider those as drawbacks to using it. I can't remember who stated
they should be in an airtight bag, but just for the record I have one that
was sitting on my desk exposed for weeks, and is now in a file cabinet
folder (exposed) and still seems just as solderable, but I'm no expert (I'm
a layout guy). I don't even see any evidence of tarnish. Since I can't seem
to find the exact quote that got me worried, I would like to apologize if I
misinterpreted a source and especially for using the term "most sources"
since I can't even find ONE at the moment. sorry...

good luck and best wishes,
Jack