TECHNET Archives

June 2002

Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:05:48 -0400
Tell me if I am wrong.  Change solder is not an option if the assembly is
qualified per Mil spec.  Change of material, such as solder required
re-qualification at assembly level (consider as major change).  Questions:
(1) if the assembly is qualified per Mil, why it is fail so early = 1- 8
years is relatively short time consider the designed life is 15 -20 years.
Any process/MFG location/operator/flux changes? You can dig it out from
initial qual report and take a look at the design history.  (2) all the
assembly has its own "travellers" for individual S/N, check any MFG rework
history, any field touch up?  (3) if the part is COTS, no string attached.
you can do anything to fix it as you wish based on my understanding.  I
believe only samples were tested.  Most of others are qual by similarity
based on "families" (few of "good guys" were insist to qual each part.. and
take a lot heat for it...they are the ugly ducklings...).
Good luck.
                                                                         jk
p.s. there also should be a burn-in T/C prior to shipping as normal Mil
requirement, if you do not see any crack at visual inspection (50X rings a
bell) after burn-in T/C, you can breath easy.  If someone eliminate the
burn-in by cycle time reduction, the Answer is:  no clue what you shipped
out.