TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
"Maguire, James F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:46:08 -0700
Have you done any cross sectioning or SEM work on fracture?

My guess is that fracturing is due to a small stress built into solder
joints by operators pushing (very slightly) on some of the joints during
reflow and the joint can (depending on thermal mass etc.) freeze with a
certain amount of stress still built in and the solder joint creeps (even at
room temp) over time and ultimately fractures.  Roger Wild did some
excellent work on this problem.

Re you fixes, while another solder alloy (suggest Sn96 or one of Sn/Ag/Cu
lead free alloys) will help it's still (IMO) a bandaid on a poor process.
If you can't use a reflow oven, then I suggest one of the solder "dam" tips
where you set a large wedge shaped tip w/solder and don't touch the device
at all but essentially transfer the solder from tip to lead(s) by drawing
the tip down a line of pads.  Most solder iron vendors make some form of
this (I'm familiar with Metcals.)

Good luck
Jim