TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Patricia Volkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:18:04 +0000
Fractured Solder Joints

My company has been doing hand assembly/soldering on a driver IC board for a
display that is used on a military airplane.  The board uses 8 Holt ICs -
HI-8010SM-32 - http://www.holtic.com/ProPDFs/8010.C.pdf

The boards we provide have been in use for between 1 year and 8 years, the
actual time is unknown, but it is likely that they have been in place for a
long period of time.

The IC is a 44 pin QFP J-lead with 0.050 center spacing on the leads.

Our customer has recently found fractured solder joints associated with
these ICs (identical to those in photo - IPC-A-610C page 12-85 )

It is assumed that the fractured solder joints occured after leaving our
facilities, caused by airplace stress cycles or ???

I am looking for any information on why these fractures would occur, the
boards are spring mounted on the plane, the boards measure about 1.5" x 5".

Most importantly, I am looking for a solution to this problem, I am
currently looking for a more ductile solder...the solder used in the past
was Kester SN60PB40.  I can also change the assembly process if that is
determined to be the root cause (all hand soldered)

thanks for any information you can provide.

Patti Volkman
(1-800-823-5588)