TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:51:18 +0200
Steve & Steve,
we have been wedgebonding directly on  heavy nickelplated aluminium plates without problem, large mass use to couple mechanical waves better than weak materials that swing by. So, I think too that it has to do with the gold structure, hardness or temperature . First thing we use to do is using hard rubber or scalpel blade, just to make sure we don't have some surface contamination. Next, check workholder, both for temperature and mechanical support. If there is a space between the object and the workholder, ultrasonic mismatch can make bonding impossible. Another annoying matter is sometimes that the insulator becomes to soft, as Steve says, then you may have to try without preheat. I assume you have the correct capillary and wire hardness for the job.

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems