TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Steve Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:51:22 -0700
IPC-A-600 2.9.3 allows (unless otherwise specified) for encroachment by solder mask onto the pad of (roughly) up to 1 mil for <40 mil pitch, up to 2 mil for > 40 mil pitch.  That's for Class I, II ,and III.  Point being, reasonable is in the eye of the beholder.

We found that our fab couldn't hold to a 12 mil pad and still get the web to stick...they have to go to 10 mil pads with 2 mil relief (6 mil web) on 20 mil pitch if we don't want them ganged.