TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Barbara Burcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:41:19 -0500
I am running OrCAD and I would like to start off by saying that I never use one of their footprints without editing it.
If this is on a connector or a device with lots of pins, the odd pad may be every 10th pad to assist in test or the field with locating a pin. A good thing.
But the same results could be done with a tick in the silkscreen.
For your layout person to say it is too much trouble to edit the footprint...well that is an opinion. In my opinion, it only takes a small amount of time to do the edit (even adding a tick into the silkscreen) and then the footprint can be replaced globally within the board database. The time up front is always shorter than the time a board spends in production.

Barbara J. Burcham, CID
SR PCB Designer
Fairfield Industries