TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:54:20 -0500
Hi Guy! Steve and I were on the same page for SERA for surface finish
analysis and using other techniques such as CVS, titration, AA, etc. for
plating bath chemical parameter analysis. The SERA system can be setup in
such a manner as to "drill" through some of the surface finishes to
characterize the intermetallic species beneath a plated surface. My
personal preference is to use XRF to characterize the plating thickness
(using good calibration standards) and use SERA to characterize the plating
surface characteristics. But there are a number of SERA users who are very
successfully using the "drill" method on intermetallic characterization.
The Rockwell Collins experience with immersion tin is that there are some
immersion tin chemistries which perform well and some which perform poorly
in terms of multiple reflow robustness. It is very important to
characterize an immersion tin surface finish in terms of your own
manufacturing process expectations and not just run a standard "bake" test.
You would be amazed at how many adhesive cure bakes can creep into an
assembly process flow in addition to the number of passes through a reflow
oven.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Guy Ramsey" <[log in to unmask]> on 06/21/2002 06:25:14 AM