TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:50:09 -0400
Hi Marki,

I don't think that anyone has answered your question yet, so here it is :

The proper bake conditions, along with other handling guidelines for
moisture-sensitive devices are all documented in J-STD-033, a joint
IPC/JEDEC standard. The standard does not address vaccum bake but it
includes a table for simple temprature bake cycles at 40C for components in
reels and 125C for components in trays. The actual duration varies based on
the MS level of the component and its body thickness.

The default bake cycle for components in reels is 68 days at 40C. (yes 68
days as in two months). Most assemblers cannot live with this kind of cycle
time so the solution is to remove all components from the reel, bake them at
125C and then re-tape them or use them in JEDEC trays. The default cycle
time at 125C is 48 hours. I am aware that some people use a combination of
vaccum and temperature to reduce the bake duration and I can provide you
with some technical articles and oven suppliers if you are interested.

Regards,

Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.
Tel : 450-534-2644