TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:56:37 -0400
We have SERA equipment here for solderability testing. I don't think it is
very common. I doubt your supplier will have the equipment.

Use the Google Search engine and search on SERA Solderability Testing. Be
sure to include the word solderability or you will be looking at a bunch of
links to a biological test. The links there will take you to articles on the
test method. The links at www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/sera.htm
will get you to ECI, maker of the test equipment.

I am not sure SERA will help you, however. It is good to remember that
immersion tin is a combination of plating and organic protection for the
underlying copper. And that tin oxide is difficult. If your processing
causes failure of the organic protecting the tin, and there is a delay, or
water cleaning prior to wave solder, you will probably have problems getting
through the tin to the copper.