TECHNET Archives

June 2002

Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:24:11 +0930
Steve

We use a smaller Omniflow oven with the "Nitro-cool" option fitted but
we have never used Nitrogen only compressed air. Bought the
showroom demo model which had it fitted but after checking out
another company nearby which has a Omniflow -12 running with
nitrogen decided that there wasnt any real benifit to using
nitrogen -air is cheap, nitrogen costs and no real soldering
benifit to cover the cost.
You should find at each end of the tunnel that there are rubber
curtains hanging down to seal off as much of the opening as
possible to stop nitrogen escaping. These curtains have caused
the only problem that we have had with the oven since it was
installed in 1997. The problem being that a curtain if it touches
the board will drag off components, mostly at the front end of the
tunnel and with certain boards with a heat profile that means some
components are still not solidified as they leave the tunnel -heatsinks etc.
Solution -cut or remove the curtain.

Do not recall any other issues with the machine - was updated for Y2K
but didnt seem to change anything except fix up the date.

Regards
Tom

3/06/02 20:14:00, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm still here, still dealing with the new (used) Ominflo-10 issues that I
>spoke of earlier.
>
>I've found out that even though the oven has what's called a "Nitro-cool"
>option, I don't need nitrogen per-se...I can use compressed air, since
>ambient air is 80% nitrogen anyway.
>
>There is the disclaimer in the manual that the machine may not operate
>"normally" with a system designed for pure nitrogen using compressed air, but
>doesn't get into the specifics of the abnormalities that may occur...can
>anybody help with some real-world experiences?
>
>I'd really love to connect with someone that uses these ovens, since this is
>the first time that I've been exposed to the Omniflo-10...
>
>I promise to not post non-techical emails, 'cept maybe on a rare occasion.
>I'll put in the subject line "OT" at the beginning, so you can screen them
>out...
>
>-Steve Gregory-

>To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL
>To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet
Digest