TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
Mike Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:06:05 +1000
Hi Randy,

I can give you some history that may help.

Some years ago I was the Australian Scrapping Manager for Wang Australia.
When Wang started to go under it decided to reduce inventory worldwide.  I
had a guy come over from the US and teach me the business.

A lot of what we had to scrap was PCB's.  The way I was taught, we cut off
all the gold fingers and removed memory by guillotining the area off the
PCA.  Memory was saleable to the re-use market and gold was gold.

I found however that the Oz market were not interested in memory and the
same people processed the PCB's and the gold fingers so we left them intact.

The process ended up that we sorted PCB's into the levels based on their
parts population, as the less parts to PCB ratio the less recoverable
material was available.  We had 4 classifications which the scrap merchants
would give us a payment by the container.

We sold all scrap to scrap metal merchants who put them in a huge metal
shredder and reduced the PCA's to almost powder.  They then put it all in a
special furnace that allowed the recovery of anything precious.

At first we received an assay report of the breakdown of materials recovered
(amazing stuff).  After two or three go's of this we knew the ratio per
population type and were paid on volume.  Every now and then we would have
another assay to see what the metal market was doing and adjust our prices
per volume accordingly.

Hope this helps some,

Mike Hughes

http://listserv.ipc.org/archives