TECHNET Archives

June 2002

Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:06:45 +0930
Mike

MSD is more an issue with larger IC packages PLCC, QFPs and BGAs.
If new sealed packs are bought and used, there is no problem but if
like us you build small batches or have staggerred production runs
then there is a high chance of 'popcorning' occurring in ICs that have
been exposed to air for a period of time.

Baking the ICs that have been unsealed before use works fine and
if you look at any sealed IC bag it normally states when it was packed,
how long the packs shelf life is and recomended temperature and baking
times if shelf life has been exceeded or if the pack has been opened.

Regards
Tom

13/06/02 10:04:24, Mike Hughes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am the Purchasing Manager for a medium size Australian R&D company
>involved in design and manufacture of radar & comms products for military
>and civil government use.
>
>We use almost 100% smd on our PCA's.
>
>I have been alerted to the MSD issue and have read as much as I can get my
>hands on from the IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033 and other articles to various other
>publications.
>
>It reads as a very serious issue that could be very costly to deal with.
>
>I am putting together a paper to present to senior management on the issue,
>its consequences and how my company should  deal with it.
>
>My problem is that whenever I speak to others in the industry I am told that
>the whole issue is little more than a beat-up and I should ignore it and it
>will go away.
>
>Can anyone out there come back to me and give me the benefit of your
>experiences and how you solved the issue.
>
>Mike Hughes
>Purchasing Manager
>CEA Technologies Pty Ltd
>Ph:02 6213 0050
>Fx:02 6213 0053
>www.cea.com.au

>To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL
>To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet
Digest