TECHNET Archives

June 2002

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:59:30 -0400
Hi Ken,
I use a little handbook from the Zonk Group Inc., out of Richardson, TX,
that recommends the following stack-up for soft material (i.e. Fr-4) mounted
to soft or hard material:
Fastener - Lock Washer - Flat Washer - PCB - Hard/Soft Material - Flat
Washer - Nut
The recommended torque that I start with is 70% of the maximum recommended
torque for the particular fastener size.  Continual monitoring of the
deflection or compression of the board material, if any, is monitored while
the torque is increased till the proper tightness is achieved (not to exceed
the maximum recommended torque).
Other references that may shed some light could be:
Machinery's Handbook
MIL-HDBK-60
ANSI
SAE