TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:43:56 -0500
Actually the way the govenment does this is to measure the labor hours it
took to make comparable quantity of goods from quarter to quarter. The data
collection and compilation is complex but they know how many hours it took
to build an Ford f150  last quarter and this quarter and the percent delta
is the productivity increase or decrease. The flaw is that the hours could
have been reduced due to better quality so less rework, innovation to reduce
labor, or reducing labor by automation process and reducing people. It is a
good measure of competitivness but not really a measure of worker
productivity. It is a bit mislabled but for lack of a better measure it's
what they use. The thought is that if fewer hours were worked  to produce
the same amount of goods we must be getting more productive.