TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:19:01 +0800
Hi, Richard,

My preference is to have sections to parts lists. Each section contains one
type of part. Each part is itemised, and each section starts with a new
range of item numbers to permit new parts to be added to each section
without disturbing the numbering in the other sections. The first section
calls up the related assembly drawing and its issue for configuration
control purposes, then there is one section for electronic parts, one for
mechanical parts, one for assemblies, one for process materials particular
to the assembly (to control ordering/buying requirements), one for software
source code files and finally a section for reference documents (schematic
diagrams, test specs/procedures, Standard Operating Procedures/Workshop
Instruction Sheets, Inspection Procedures, and any other documents and
procedures directly related to how the assembly is built, tested and
inspected.

Assemblies include mezzanine CCA's, pre-programmed IC's, cable harnesses,
mechanical subs - anything that comprises a number of parts that have to be
put together before being fitted to the next higher level of assembly (per
your parts list)

Selecting the item number ranges depends on the parts in each section, but
for CCA's, I typically try to have 1 to 499 for electronic parts, 500 to
599 for Mechanical parts, 600 to 699 for Assemblies, etc., then 1000
upwards for all the document references. Seems to work OK.

Hope this is the sort of idea you're looking for.

Peter

Richard Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>    07/05/2002 01:14 PM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Richard
Hamilton