TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 09:58:55 -0500
May I ask of you all your familiarity with this operation. I am not a
Sanmina fan going way back with Jure and Milan in the '80's. I've just lost
interest in their Hadco capability that used to be top notch. The following
was recently read in Jeff's fine rag:

Sanmina-SCI Announces High Density Flexible Circuit Capability
PR Newswire (May 2, 2002)

SAN JOSE, Calif., May 2, 2002 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ --
Sanmina-SCI Corporation (Nasdaq: SANM), a leading global electronics
contract manufacturer and high performance printed circuit board (PCB)
fabricator, today announced it is producing high density interconnect (HDI)
multi-layer flexible printed circuit boards at its HDI manufacturing and
research center in Costa Mesa, California. Multi-layer flexible circuits
allow for very high wiring densities on very thin boards which can then be
bent or folded to fit into tight spaces. The additional capability supports
customer requirements for leading edge, cost-effective technology for high
performance products.

George Dudnikov, Sanmina-SCI's Senior Vice President and Chief Technology
Officer for Printed Circuit Board Fabrication, said, "The 100,000 square
foot Costa Mesa facility, one of the most advanced PCB factories in the
world, is designed with the specialized infrastructure necessary for
manufacturing the highest complexity HDI products. Virtually
all-manufacturing operations are performed within a 40,000 square foot
general Class 10,000 clean room environment. Class 1000 and 100
environments, similar to the type available in semiconductor fabs, are used
for critical process steps such as photolithography, circuit formation and
plating. Sanmina-SCI is the only PCB manufacturer in North America to have
such an extensive level clean room facility. This infrastructure, which is
paramount to obtaining high yields when manufacturing high density,
ultra-fine line products, supports our opto-electronic PCB research and
development efforts."

Commenting further, Dudnikov said, "One of the key enabling technologies of
the Costa Mesa factory is the ability to handle thin polyimide or LCP
(liquid crystal polymer) film cores down to 25 microns (1 mil) in thickness.
Additional capabilities include vacuum sputtered metal deposition of seed
chrome and copper, laser-formed blind and buried vias down to 50-micron
diameter, and buried passive components (resistors and capacitors) utilizing
patented technologies. Circuit features can be as low as 25-micron (.001")
trace widths. Semiconductor packaging type processes include flip chip and
gold wire bond assembly technologies. Many of the company's Costa Mesa
customers are focusing on new product applications for the high performance
medical, opto-electronic, and wireless RF module markets."

Jim Ryan, Vice President and General Manager of the Cost Mesa factory, said,
"We are pleased with the interest we are seeing in our advanced capabilities
for HDI product, especially in HDI flex products. As a result, many of our
new product programs are very technically complex and cannot easily be moved
offshore for production. In addition because of our ability to provide
finished PCBs and flex circuits with ultra low surface ionics, we are
successfully supporting our medical assembly operation. Our business is also
expanding due to the increase in chip on flex (COF) requirements and our
multiple gold finish capabilities for wire bonding. We also plan on
broadening our capabilities into rigid flex products for medical
applications and military avionics."

Who's 100,000 sq foot facility was this and how many people going this way,
please?

MoonMan