TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 08:05:25 +0800
One thing I've learned in my 20+ years in electronics manufacturing is that
one should pre-trim leads prior to soldering, not trim them afterwards,
especially with  the plier type lead cutters. The shock to the solder
joints when the leads part with that snap is very high, and joints, too
numerous to mention, have been damaged in the process. Even high-speed lead
saws aren't much better, and often tend to smear leads  rather than cut
them. I've also known these cut right through a joint and into a board when
the board is a bit bowed (bowed boards weren't so critical back then with
plated-through-hole components).

Also, on class 3 boards anyway, exposed copper is banned, so all trimmed
leads had to be put back through the wave solder to cover them up. This is
an additonal and unnecessary thermal excursion that should be avoided. It's
detrimental to the life of the board and takes extra time and cost for the
additional processes involved. It's better to trim the leads to length
prior to soldering then wave solder only once. Clinch or half-clinch two
opposing leads on each component before trimming if you're worried about
the components rising in the wave, or put a pad over the components to hold
them in place.

One holding technique I saw years ago is to vacuum-form thin plastic sheet
over the populated board that can be peeled or lifted off after the
soldering process. We never tried it, and I never saw it used "for real",
so I don't think it caught on. Another technique was to secure a foam pad
over the components (wave resistant, of course)

Anyway, in your current curcumstances, I would opt for doing a second wave
solder pass, in spite of what I just said, especially if you have a lot of
leads to do on a lot of boards. It will be kinder to the board that locally
heating lots of areas, though your no-clean residues will build up. Maybe
our TN cleaning experts can help with that one.

Good luck

Peter

David White <[log in to unmask]>      02/05/2002 11:14 PM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to David White