TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:23:25 -0500
Good afternoon all,

I have been watching this thread with some amusement.  I have an alternate
theory on why these scams work, other than human gullibility.  How many of
us have seen performance sacrifices in the name of cost engineering, or to
make a product X% lighter, Y% smaller, etc?  Look at some of the power
tools of the 60s (big honkin' hunks of metal) and those of today
(plastics).  Tools are cheaper today (relatively speaking) and lighter, but
they won't last 25 years like before.  In terms of the cell phone antennas,
you could make antennas that would pick up conversations on other
continents, but you wouldn't want to carry it around and probably would not
want to pay for it.  The price for that ever so chic small cell phone is
diminished reception.  Unless you are an RF engineer, you don't have the
technical background to make the call, but we all know that companies don't
build em the way they used to.  In addition, look at the secondary products
markets that offer you items that the OEMs did not include in the base
package to make it cheap enough to get on your radar?  The secondary
products industry is booming for this reason.  I would bet we could all
look at our products and see some similar shortcuts made in the name of
cost engineering.

Well, except for Rockwell Collins of course..............

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins