TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:35:45 -0500
Here at Caterpillar we are starting to do some designs that are dense
enough that the silkscreen gets in the way.

We would like to have some method of identifying component polarity even
without a silkscreen and without a drawing, and about the only thing we can
think of  is to lengthen the "pin one" pad for ICs, and cut the corners off
the anode or positive side of diodes and caps. What worries me is the
shaved corners. After preaching to everyone the value of having some kind
of standard land patterns, I'm now advocating six sided geometries?

but anyway,

Have any of you seen soldering or reliability problems by cutting the
corners off a pad?
Is there a "trimming ratio" I should maintain?
Any other ideas?

Jack