TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:56:29 EDT
Hi all!

Gotta' pretty dumb question...but maybe not so dumb. Here in the states,
there seems to be a 3rd party business that has been marketing "Cell phone
antenna boosters" that supposedly prevents dropped calls, etc...

Looking at the pictures that I've seen of these devices, they do look like
some sort of RF board, but I'm really skeptical...especially when they always
sell for $19.95, and you get a hands free kit for free with them.

My first question is; why hasn't the OEM learned about, and adopted this
technology?

I know there's a bunch of people on the list that are involved in cell phone
manufacturing, and I'd like hear "from the horses mouth" so to speak, about
the true effectiveness of these 3rd party devices.

Are they a bunch of junk?

If they are, why haven't manufacturers like Motorola, Ericsson, etc. gone
after them, or at least alerted the public that they are spending money for
nothing when buying this crap?

Just something I thought about while watching the "boob-tube" tonight...

-Steve Gregory-