TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:20:14 +0100
Brian:, its not the dissolved oxygen so much as the fact the vapour doesn't
displace all the air.

Björn: At the risk of being pedantic, an advantage of saturated vapour
phase, and a principal factor in its original introduction for back plane
soldering, and subsequent adoption in surface mount,  is its ability to heat
very uniformly almost irrespective of work size or geometry. This uniformity
allows ramp rates which are much higher than is possible with other
mechanisms for heat transfer.

Anyone: However VPR heat transfer fluids are more expensive than, and
clearly have an environmental impact which is greater than, the most common
alternative medium used in conventional reflow ovens. Air is free :)

The process advantages of VPR - which I fully appreciate - have to be set
against its costs and disadvantages on  a case by case basis. IMHO I think
that this sort of analysis will show that for odd geometries heavy parts
mixed prototyping etc, and for adhesive [epoxy] curing, saturated VPR has
some attractions. Certainly it's a process which is hard to get wrong on one
offs, but its harder to get really optimum on longer runs.

Kind Regards

Mike Fenner

Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
 T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
 F: + 44 1908 580 411