TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 10:36:46 +0100
Techies

Taking on-board all that has been said, consider:

There is at least one system on the market where the entire process is
conducted in a sealed chamber.

In this way, the expensive heat transfer fluid may be recycled with
minimal losses - < 10 kgs per year assuming 2000 hours per year. BTW,
that's only 5 litres or just less than 1.5 USgallon per year! (Proven in
application.)

The process involves loading the chamber with assemblies, and sealing
it. The fluid is then injected at a controlled rate onto a heated plate
in the bottom of the chamber. As this plate would be set at around 25 to
30 DegC above the boiling point of the liquid, the liquid will vaporise.

It will then condense onto anything colder than itself, even under the
most discreet devices.

Because of the controlled rate of injection, the temperature ramp can be
easily maintained at 2 to 2.5 DegC per second.

Because the liquid can only boil at its boiling point - there is a
temperature delta of less than 5 DegC over the boiling point.

The process is being done in an inert atmosphere.

What are the boiling point liquids that are available? 200 - 210 - 220 -
230 - 240 DegC

Thus, SAC alloy (Tin Silver Copper) with a melting point of 219 DegC
will be reached with 220 liquid and NO overtemperature issues
whatsoever.

Upon completion of this part of the process, a separate vacuum pump
removes the vapour to ensure, as far as possible, that there is minimal
residue for "evaporative" or "drag-out" losses. The fluid is filtered
and recycled into the reservoir for almost perpetual re-use.

The process may be considered "dis-continuous" or "batch" but, with the
right size of chamber, a whole days production could be achieved in only
3 minutes. BTW, this is only to show that throughput is not an issue.

This is a process that is receiving considerable interest on this side
of the pond. If you want more, contact me off-line because from this
point on, it is commercial!

Regards Graham Naisbitt

Concoat ANNOUNCE their acquisition of the former Multicore SPCID
business.

MUST II Solderability Testing Systems -
CM Cleanliness Testing Systems -
Auto-SIR Reliability Testing Systems -
SoldaPro & NEW SoldaPro Wizard Thermal Profilers

For more information please visit our new web site:
www.concoatsystems.com <http://www.concoatsystems.com>

Concoat Limited
Alasan House, Albany Park
Camberley GU16 7PH - UK