TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:04:12 -0500
Steve,

When you say "massive failures", are you talking electrical or just the
delamination problem?

Some of our military products use PPS caps, and we see delamination after
going through water wash.  There are many layers of the plastic film to
protect the dielectric layers underneath.  We had similar concerns about
the delam so we have run 2000 temperature cycles, from -54C to +125C on 200
of  various package sizes of these parts with 50% of the rated voltage
applied, postcoated and unpostcoated, without any failures or increase in
leakage current.  We have since allowed for delamination of these parts in
our component specification.

These are great capacitors electrically, that can have higher capacitance
values without the leakage issues of ceramic caps.

Jim Carlson
Rockwell Collins Reliability Engineer

[log in to unmask]@ipc.org> on 05/23/2002 08:51:58 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
       to [log in to unmask]

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>