TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Tim McQuay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:44:36 -0500
Hi Folks:
We have a debate regarding sequence of operations when we glue down
components and apply conformal coating to the same board. The IPC-A-610C
does not cover this and I have not been able to locate any other info.
Basicly we want to know, do we glue first or do we coat first. Can someone
please tell us if the bond between silicone glue and conformal coating is as
strong as between silicone glue and PCB uncoated surface. We are concerned
that heavy components, such as the large caps on some of our boards, would
not be well supported if bonding is done after conformal coating.
We have our own bias but we wanted to hear an outside opinion and/or see a
standard on the topic. The adhesive and coating we use are listed below.
        3-1744 (DOW), SILICONE ADHESIVE - for staking big components
        KE3421 (SHIN-ETSU), SLCN BRD COAT - conformal board coating

Thanks
Tim McQuay
Training Coordinator
Vansco Electronics