TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Tegehall Per-Erik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 17:29:36 +0200
Graham,

Now have I opened my TechNet eyes. The study was done in the beginning of
the nineties, i.e. before BGAs were used. What we found was that the
reliability of solder joints to LCCCs were improved by conformal coatings
most notably by Parylene and some silicone coatings but also to some extent
by other conformal coatings. It should be pointed out that only a fraction
of the space beneath the LCCCs were filled with coating material.

We have later performed a study for ESA in which we applied a solventless
silicone conformal coating as underfill under ceramic BGAs and CGAs monted
on polyimide/glass and polyimide/aramide (Thermount) boards. We could not
see any significant influence of the silicone "underfill" on the fatigue
life of the solder joints, i.e. it neither improved nor worsened the fatigue
life.

Regards
Per-Erik Tegehall