TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 17:22:50 -0500
Hi Peter and TechNet Land! I can add a bit of science to Doug's reply which
may help clear up the picture a bit. One of the lessons we have learned the
hard way (e.g. Doug's reference to the Great PostCoat Massacre) is that
under standard/normal/typical conformal coating conditions/processing,
conformal coating neither adds to nor statistically improves the solder
joint thermal cycle fatigue life. However, the Z dimension CTE
characteristics of a conformal coating can be significantly different than
the X and Y dimension CTE characteristics. If you take an acrylic conformal
coating and intentionally force the material to underfill the BGA you will
have the conformal coating literally "push" the BGA away from the pwa. In
addition to this mechanical issue, you also have Doug's issue of trapped
solvent under the BGA leading to corrosion problems. Hope this adds to the
discussion.

Dave Hillman (is it CTE or TCE?)
Rockwell Collins

[log in to unmask]@ipc.org> on 05/21/2002 08:05:03 AM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
       to [log in to unmask]

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>