TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Greg Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 09:55:57 -0700
Frank,

it is not really a standard document you need, it is sometimes driven
by design practices.  If you require a soldermask dam between 25 mil pitch parts, then:
    1.    Minimum soldermask dams are 4 to 5 mils (use to be 6 mils, check with your fabshop)
    2.    Most design rules you grow your soldermask opening by 3 mils per side of copper pad.
           So that adds up to 6 mils + 5 mil solder mask dam = 11 mils.
    3.    Remove 11 mils from 25 mils and you get 14 mils maximum copper pad width.

We did a quick internal study on actual component lead widths (parts from stock) versus the
manufactures part drawing.
Even though maximum width is like you say 18 mils, we never found any that were that wide. All were
darn close to nominal,
I believe plus 1 mil tolerance, none narrower.
This is what I would use to explain to your customer why side fillet is usually not required and some
cases not achievable.

If you do not require soldermask dams and are not routing on external layer between pins then give them
side fillet.
I do not think a 18 mil pad and a 13 mil lead width will create soldering problems for the assembly
shop.

Greg Scott
Cray Inc.