TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
"Strickland, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 07:09:38 -0500
With standard double row (4 teeth) indenter crimp tools (i.e., Daniels) on a
barrel pin/socket, the tool deforms the barrel into a shape like a square
except with indented arcs from each corner (hard to describe easy to
sketch).  To have a capable joint, requires that the individual strands fill
the corners of this "square-like geometry."  Tinning would probably hinder
this deformation.  Dependent upon the lug and crimp tool, you may not
achieve this same geometry but the principle is the same.  Cross-sectioning
can confirm whether a joint made outside the lug mfg recommendations is good
or not.  Refer to European Cooperation for Space Standardization literature
on this subject for more information.  You should be able to access it at:
http://www.ecss.nl/