TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
"Jindra, Larry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:08:22 -0700
Barry-

Its not always clear in the books, but there are 2 different kinds of DOE methodology: classical and Taguchi.

Classical DOE will work when your experimental population and real life population are of the same distribution.  If you are concerned about warped BGAs or boards, you hope that your experimental sample has the same properties as you will see every day.

Taguchi DOE forces you to test your process at the extremes of what would ordinarily be random variation.  If you are concerned about the occasional warped BGA or board, you look for process variables that will produce the most consistently good joints, whether the parts are flat as a pancake or warped like a potato chip.  The Taguchi terminology is "robustness in the face of noise".

The Taguchi terminology makes it a little difficult to absorb by just reading a book.  Have your boss send you to somewhere nice for a seminar.  I went to Detroit in February.

For software, I use Statistica by Statsoft.  I have no idea what most of its capabilities are used for, but the DOE module is nice.

I'm guessing you will find statistically little difference between gel flux or paste using classical DOE and small sample sizes.  However, we have found paste to be more robust in the face of BGAs or PCBs that are warped before or during the reflow process.  Also, some pastes and fluxes are better than others in the face of marginal solderability.

Larry Jindra
Mfg Engr Group Lead
TRW Radio Systems
w) 858-592-3424