TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 10:08:59 +0100
Leland,

What you request can and is being done by many of our customers -
automotive groups in particular.

However, as you learned from the other respondents, this is not a simple
exercise - but then what is?

To help, and without knowing your end application, I suggest that you
consider new SIR test methods as a "Process Characterisation" protocol.

The principal (but not unique) issues, relate to electro-chemical
reactions of an unpredictable nature. Viz: flux residues can harbour
unwanted ionic and non-ionic residues that may harm the circuit when it
subsequently exposed to humidity that can render them mobile - dendrites
/ intermetallic growths that commonly result in premature circuit
failure.

By taking representative coupons of your end assembly, and processing
them in sequence with your final product and exposing them to the same
process chemistries, you will be better able to determine the potential
reliability of your end product. What happens in production is usually
somewhat less controlled than tests done in the lab.

If you would like to see sight of a draft specification of this, let me
know off line, and I will attach the relevant stuff for your
consideration.

You might like to talk to some test labs: CSL - Pacific Labs - TRACE
Labs - Robisan and many others that you can trawl from the TechNet
archives. These folks can do the testing for you, and we can assist with
the test parameters...that differ considerably from the old and
out-of-date methods currently used to characterise process materials.

Regards Graham Naisbitt

Concoat ANNOUNCE their acquisition of the former Multicore SPCID
business.

MUST II Solderability Testing Systems -
CM Cleanliness Testing Systems -
Auto-SIR Reliability Testing Systems -
SoldaPro & NEW SoldaPro Wizard Thermal Profilers

For more information please visit our new web site:
www.concoatsystems.com <http://www.concoatsystems.com>

Concoat Limited
Alasan House, Albany Park
Camberley GU16 7PH - UK