TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 05:55:21 -0500
For my technical friends, and the guy enjoying our via in pad issues though
haveing no problems himself now knowing him to be a technical non combatant
(totally unarmed in any sense), I wish to tell a little story.

Once upon a time there was a MoonMan. He talked the talk and sometimes even
walked the walk. A true hero he but for haveing much trouble with his love
life (a never ending saga not to be sharred with faint of heart) and
complete envy of Bev and Chris having found true bliss. On to his
"technical" life.

The MoonMan wanted to place orders with "Big Steve's" organization but my
boss and I both decided the price was too steep though the cost would have
been much lower than what happened later. By the way, Big Steve should be
very happy never having to put up with our designs though I wish we could
have gone there with all fantastic references I received about him and his
abilities. You folks ever heard of him and them? Worth the price I tell you.

Anyway, we went to another assembly capability and did well until, just
after they closed the doors, we no longer were able to do business with
them. Never knew what hit us or them. Everyone was laid off without notice
to them or us. How could this have happened in such an improving economy?

We had to go out and find another assembly house. Luck would have it I had
visited MPI (in CT) over two years ago and was impressed. We just received
some of the best assemblies ever including valuable DFM input, with
attendant solder joints, ever even though the designs were still screwed up
though the before mentioned TI parts held together. These folks have a
separate prototpye capability using the same processes they use down stairs.
They even tape and reel. They are terrific and I hope they stay in business
forever. I wish there were more like this.

I don't have a clue where this story is going. I'm just hoping we face no
more door closures and have to search for another capability. I must say,
I'm looking for a backup and a major player to do our volume but I doubt my
original large company will fill the bill. Hell, I was going to "can" all
the data and documentation from their tech center and send it to them for
volume production. That will now not happen.

Sob, sob, I cannot continue with this tragedy. I need a quiet place to
contemplate. When the bears come out of their winter sleep, maybe I'll
return to the cave. WHERE HAVE ALL THE ASSEMBLERS GONE - LONG TIME PASSING?

MoonSobMan